My idea was to create a faux book both on the exterior and interior of a board shaped book which I purchased on a visit to Hobby Craft.
As you can see from the image above all the sides of the book cover were painted in burnt umber liquitex acrylic paints and I speed dried it using a heat tool. The lettering has come from metallic stickers I had in my crafty stash however, I wanted a more vintage feel so I over stamped them using brown archival ink and a hessian patterned clay squisher.
The Owls were stamped on to an old book page which had been colour tinted using Ranger Alcohol Inks in Peach, Latte and Caramel then over stamped with the images of the Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil Image before mounted them on Tim Holtz Grunge board. I then cut them out using a heat tool to warm the grunge board and shape it with my hands and layered them on to the front of the book using pinflair glue gel for dimension.
My next endeavour was to make the top and edges of the book look as much like the real thing as I possibly could I left the bottom free of this embellishment as I wanted it to be able to sit as if in a book shelf.
The faux pages were created by cutting a number of 1cm slivers of the old book paper together until I got the desired effect and then adhered them to the length of the book using red strong tape. I then colour tinted the already yellowed paper using old paper, frayed burlap and tea dye distress ink pads for a more grungy effect. The top was made using the same method however, I folded the paper in half to create a faux bound effect which I hope you think is quite effective.
For the binding of the book the shaping was already there so using some Liquid Leaf in Florentine Gold I painted this on to the highlighted areas and again applied the same stickers from my crafty stash distressed using the same method.
Above is the inside front this was created using a simple piece of white card cut to size and distressed using direct to page technique and distress inks in antique linen, old paper and frayed burlap. The font stamp (also from stamp addicts) was stamped over the paper in old paper. The Floral Flourish (from the Emma Stamp Plate) was stamped using Crimson Copper Brilliance ink to add a sheen to the image and pull it forward from the rest of the page.
This is the faux inside of the book itself. The height was initially established just using cut down old book pages stuck together the 2nd page from the top was colour distressed using old paper and frayed burlap, I then stuck the front page over it ensuring that I kept the bottom right hand corner free from adhesive and rolled it using a small paintbrush handle to get the curled page effect.
I then stamped the floral flourish from the stamp plate Emma and overlayed the stamped owl on the branch image over the top shaping it before adhering it with pinflair glue gel.
To complete the look I desired I added small paper flowers and the two sentiments.
I hope you like todays image and look forward to hearing any comments you may have.