Friday, 15 June 2012

Art Journalling (Part III)

So I thought you may like to see some of my Art Journalling that I have created (without the aid of a safety net) since finishing the Introductory Class.

The first page below was inspired initially by only being a one page layout (which I hoped would be less daunting).  This worked a treat, the base of the page was primed with a thin layer of gesso which was then left to air dry.  On returning back to the page I painted the pale teal shade of acrylic paint using loose brush strokes to the whole of the page and dried this using a heat tool.  Next I used a clear lip balm stick and applied this in horizontal strokes loosely over the whole background ensuring that I left some areas untouched.  I then applied a second coat of a green acrylic paint over the top of the page ensuring that I left both white space before again drying the paint with a heat tool thoroughly.  Once this had been done I could rub away the lip balm which revealed the vintage antiqued background ready for my inspiration.

I next used some magic mesh, washi tape and distress inked vintage lace to the page to add texture along with a tinted paper flower to match.

I stamped some text loosely on to the background and the inspiration word "DREAM".

Finally to complete the page I dried out a baby wipe which I then colour tinted using Tim Holt distress inks in peacock feathers and crushed olive, this was then overstamped using Archival black ink using the girl image and the highlight was added using the picket fence distress marker.  I then cut around the image to remove the excess baby wipe and adhered this to the card using red tape.

This page was inspired by an amazing lady who posts on You Tube from Canada called Journal Artista and I thoroughly recommend you check out her videos if yo are keen to do Art Journalling, I can assure you that the bug once bitten will only enrich your other crafting and not detract from what projects you already have on the go.

This page was primed with white gesso and then coloured using Adirondack alcohol inks in purple and pink shades.  I have a confession that when I initially done this even using Alcohol Blending Solution it was extremely garrish so I brought it down using light random strokes of gesso.  Once I had the initial background I then began to move forward using the text stamp in black memento ink with the graphite shadow effect around it and using gesso with sequin waste to get the circular effect.  Next I used a swirl stamp which came free with an issue of Craft Stamper magazine and stamped this randomly using Versafine ink and then went over these images with Pan Pastel in Violet Tint.  I stamped the keys using a purple dye based ink pad randomly on the page and the pen knibs using Encore Silver ink.

I stamped the inspiration "The Pen is Mightier" using a dye based ink pad and alphabet stamps. Stamped the pocket watches and wings (which were outlined with fine liner for definition).

Finally for texture I applied strips of red strong tape to the page and adhered Stampendous Pearlised Mica Fragments to the page  and a tinted and glitter sprayed button from Basically Bare with a purple ribbon bow.  Lastly I adhered small dotted patches of heather flowersoft to the page for more texture and it was complete.

I hope you like the pages I have shown you today.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my blog.

Em x


  1. These are just fantastic Emma and you are applying so many fabulous techniques and they are working really well. Love the colours. Hope you have a good weekend
    x catherine

  2. Oh these are fabulous Emma! I especially like the pink and lilacs. Very interesting reading your techniques. Michelle x


Thank you for leaving me a comment on this blog, it means alot to me that you have taken the time to do so, Many thanks Em xx